Raspberry and Ricotta muffins with lemon crumble
Bake some kindness for guests or as part of a work or school Kindness Brunch.
For the crumble
- ½ cup (30g) shredded coconut
- ½ cup (120g) brown sugar
- ¼ cup (50g) plain flour
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
- 60g cold butter, cut in to pieces
For the muffins
- 1 ½ cups (260g) plain flour
- ¼ cup (50g) raw sugar
- ¼ cup (60g) brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- ½ cup milk
- 1 punnet fresh raspberries
- 120g fresh ricotta cheese.
- Preheat oven to 180 C.
- Grease a 12 cup capacity muffin mould and line the base of each mould with paper rounds.
- Place all the ingredients for the crumble topping in the bowl of a food processor and process until the butter is completely incorporated and the mixture resembles a coarse crumb.
- Combine the flour, raw sugar, brown sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, milk and melted butter.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and stir gently until just combined.
- Stir in raspberries, being careful not to overmix.
- Fill each muffin mould until they are three quarters full.
- Top each by dotting with 1-2 teaspoons ricotta and sprinkling the crumble topping evenly over the mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes, until a skewer inserted in the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
- Allow to cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to a wire rack.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.